LOGIC IS HERE FOR 'EVERYBODY'


May 6, 2017

Here to represent his new album, ‘Everybody’ (released May 5 2017), in an Interview with Billboard Magazine, we have non other than Logic! Read this article on his inspiration, tackling racism through this album, and more!

What inspired you to write this album?

‘Everybody’ was inspired by the people around me - the people who I grew up with, who I’ve met before. There’s a lot of diversity within the songs of the album, because I have a lot of people around me who are of different races, follow different religions, experienced different problems, live different lives. Even the RATT pack (a.k.a. Logic’s fanbase which stand for “Real all the time”) who has supported me since my mixtape days, is a highly diverse group of people from around the world. And this album is all about jumping into someone else’s shoes and sending out some positive vibes and hopefully, when they listen to this album they can find their voice through one of my songs.

What’s it about?

Well, you can expect a lot of diversity, what’s going on in the news as well as in these times. I rap about really heavy, serious topics but, most of them having an upbeat instrumentation really contrasts with the darkness that you can listen in on from the lyrical content that I’m spitting out. Additionally, I think it’s something that can maybe help them intake the content of the songs.

Which track is your personal favorite?

My personal favorite would be Black Spiderman. It’s just a really fun, upbeat song that embodies what the entire album is all about. Speaking up and accepting who we are and how we feel in our skin. Accepting our identity. Like, black Spiderman, man. If the mission impossible guy wanted to be gay, why not? I mean, it’s 2017! There’s no need for all this conflict… just, accept diversity. You feel? During the song, I got different vocals layering on top of each other and it supports the lyrics because I rap from multiple perspectives. And the chorus sort of demonstrates the culmination of all these perspectives together.

What is your favorite line from ‘Black Spiderman’?

I have two so, I think the first one would be:
I ain't ashamed to be white // I ain’t ashamed to be black // I ain’t ashamed of my beautiful Mexican wife as a matter of fact // I know you f***ing with that
This part of the song, I rap in my perspective. My mom is caucasian and my dad is African-American; I’m proud to be biracial. Furthermore, I’m definitely not ashamed of my gorgeous wife. She’s white and Mexican and she’s just beautiful. I wear my identity on my sleeve, and I’m not sorry for being who I am, who I love, and no one should be ashamed of being who they are.
The second one would be:
Praise Black Jesus now call the preacher // Maybe Jesus was black // Maybe Jesus had dreads
This line is about racism. The conformity bias as to how we should see things and determine what is acceptable, or maybe right or wrong based on society’s opinion. In my opinion, I don’t see Jesus as white. I’ve seen all kinds of versions of Jesus and it puts that thought into the listeners mind like, maybe he was black. You never know. Yeah, I’m used to a white nerdy kid playing Spiderman because that’s just how Stan Lee created his character. But if there were a change, let him be whatever he wants to be. Asian, Black, it doesn’t matter. In the internet, things like this are way too exaggerated, when it really shouldn’t be.

Comments